When debating on whether or not to hire a consultant, first it is important to consider exactly what a consultant does. Consultants focus on addressing existing issues in an organization by assessing specific areas within your company and providing solutions, allowing business owners to achieve organizational goals. They also provide various solutions to correct persistent problems that limit a business’s ability to flourish.
Below are a few examples of the fields that consultants can specialize in:
• Strategy - Set goals around where you want your business to be
• Management - Develop methods to improve business performance
• Operations - Increase the efficiency of business to lower costs
• Sales - Create effective strategies and teams to increase revenue
• Finance - Tackle questions with investments, insurance, and more
• Marketing - Build brand awareness and develop campaigns
• Human Resources - Cultivate your human capital to retain employees
• IT - Implement new technology and improve existing infrastructure
Consultants bring knowledge from various organizations that have likely experienced some of the same issues that your organization might be experiencing. THeir network allows them to bring a wide selection of tested solutions that can be quickly implemented at your organization.
When facing obstacles that your staff isn’t equipped to handle you typically have two options. One is to hire an employee that can potentially cost up to a six-figure salary, who will need time to acclimate to their new position. Two is to hire an expert consultant, to either resolve the issue directly or assist in training existing employees to be able to handle the problem.
Overall, if there is nothing you take away from this blog, but one tip, then remember this question –
Are your employees experienced and equipped to handle the issue that you are facing and if not, what is more effective: hiring and training an entirely new employee or hiring a consultant to solve the issue and develop your current employees to another level?
If it is the latter then consider checking out some of our consultants and coaches at A Z Advisory Group where every employee has had experience managing or owning a business. We also have an extensive network of consultants that can provide solutions to any potential problem you can throw our way! Connect with us at - firstname.lastname@example.org